Arosmari Village Hotel is a haven; a cluster of stone and cypress wood cottages with a beautiful garden at its heart, set in the timeless village of Vamos. Here, among roses, jasmine and lavender are many secret corners to read, meditate or sleep the afternoon away.
Touches of the rural past: a shepherd's hut, a threshing circle and even a small chapel are spread among the olive trees and lawn. A leisurely day begins with breakfast served in the gardens, using local produce and later, light lunches can be served by the pool. There is a delightful reading room with an honesty bar with open views over the pool and garden plus a cosy sitting room with old photographs and memorabilia. An extra dimension is a small spa for guests including a Turkish hamam and treatment room for a combination of traditional massages and therapies with scented oils.
Arosmari is a small country hotel for adults and couples only. Our Simpson concierge service will advise on local walks, driving routes and cultural activities including cookery and wine-tasting. In addition, host and pianist Nikos arranges classic Greek music evenings throughout the summer in the small amphitheatre in the gardens of Arosmari, complete with local wines and a delicious traditional supper.
The village of Vamos is set against the spectacular backdrop of the White Mountains. Shepherds still herd their sheep along the flag-stoned lanes and russet-haired goats amble between the olives. Vamos is a small slice of old Crete infused with the values of traditional hospitality. The village is famous for its local crafts and organic produce: including thyme honey, pickles, jams, cheeses and olive oil soap. It also has a local bakery, a 19th-century kafenion and traditional tavernas where mouth-watering Cretan specialities, such as chicken in red wine, cuttlefish and fennel, artichokes or chickpea purée are cooked in stone ovens and served with some of the island's best wine. In low season, log fires create a wonderful evening atmosphere and in summer, large plane trees provide welcome shade. For those who want to explore authentic Cretan food a little further, local cookery courses are available.
The village is also the starting point for walking tours of the surrounding countryside and historic Chania town is just a 30-minute drive.
Arosmari Village Hotel
- A cluster of 10 semi-detached or detached cottages with communal gardens
- Adult Only (18 years or older)
- Reception/concierge open 7 mornings and 5 evenings per week for advice on local walks, driving routes and cultural activities
- Tuition/classes available for painting, cookery and wine tasting
- Breakfast included and served daily
- Light lunches available by the pool
- Reading room/library, small sitting room, honesty pool bar
- Hammam and massage room (payable locally)
- Laundry service available (payable locally)
- Bluetooth speakers and safe in each cottage
- Korres bathroom products, slippers and bathrobes in each cottage
- Iron, ironing board, hairdryer
- Simpson Travel pool towels
- Complimentary WiFi in communal areas only
- Swimming pool 13.5m x 5m (depth 1.1m – 1.8m)
- June – September: Classical music supper evenings with local wines (payable locally)
- In Greece, a nominal visitor tax applies, known as the Overnight Stay Tax, which varies depending on the accommodation. During your stay at the Arosmari Village Hotel, €0.50 per night per cottage must be paid locally in cash and will be collected either by the property owner or our local representative on their behalf.
- All properties with WiFi are able to support basic functionality such as web browsing and checking emails. We aim to offer an uninterrupted service but sometimes due to factors beyond our control reliability can be affected.
- Beach (Kalyves) 10min drive
- Tavernas/shops (Vamos) 8min walk
- Chania 30min drive
- Loutro via Chora Sfakion 1hr 10min drive followed by 30min boat trip or 15min sea taxi
- Knossos 1hr 50min drive
- Chania airport 1hr drive
- Heraklion airport 1hr 45min drive